Thursday, March 19, 2015

The Humor of Fathers

St. Joseph must have had a good sense of humor. It seems most fathers do.

The head of the Holy Family, like generations of dads, had a lot to worry about in providing for his family and keeping them safe. And early on, he had a special test of faith, when Mary became pregnant.

Yet despite the hardships – and maybe because of them – he needed to laugh now and then.

Other than what is recorded in the Scripture, there is little known about Saint Joseph. But I speculate on his sense of humor because of the fathers I know.

My son told me about a drive with the father of one of his friends, in a vehicle loaded with other boys. The dad (Matt McMillan of our parish) suddenly yelled “Cow!” and halted the car. He started driving again, but then hollered “Snakes!” and drove in a wiggly line, apparently to avoid the creatures.

My son – and all his friends in the car – were tickled by the antics.

His telling of the story made me think back to my grandpa, who used say “Whoa, horsey!” as he braked – and then whinnied.

In thinking about these fathers, I began to wonder, are all dads like this?

Both my father and my husband seem to fit the mold. Both have their usual routines.

My husband, Tim, when he sees me or our kids from afar, likes to wave and yell as loudly as he can, “Over here!” It’s his way to embarrass us, as everyone in the vicinity looks over.

At home, he likes to nudge us off furniture to the alligators waiting on the floor below.

My dad had his favorites, too, when my brothers and sisters and I were young. There was the story of the mommy horse, daddy horse and their son, Charley horse – at which point we’d get a gentle jab to the leg, our own Charley horse.

And he had a standard line for his balding head: “Grass doesn't grow on a busy street, you know.”

Sometimes our dads make us smile. Sometimes we groan at their behavior. But it seems to be part of what makes them fathers.

Happy St. Joseph’s Day to all fathers.

And happy birthday to my dad, who celebrates his 85th birthday Saturday -- and continues to make me smile.


Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.