Thursday, December 25, 2014

Unexpected Gifts

Sometimes Christmas joy can be found in the least expected places – in the smallest and most seemingly insignificant things.

One of my favorite Christmas memories was one such gift.

Several years ago, my extended family decided to try something new on Christmas Eve by letting all the children unwrap a few gifts early. That was a huge hit with the kids, but the next day something unexpected happened.

After the rest of the presents were handed out on Christmas Day, the youngest child in the room, my son David, then 3, said: “Mom, do I have any gifts?”

Apparently he unwrapped whatever presents he had the night before, but no one noticed he had nothing left for Christmas Day. I thought I could make up an excuse and postpone him while I drove off to a Walgreen’s (the only store that might be open) to find a gift. My sister asked what I was doing and told me to wait, that she might be able to find something.

She ran upstairs and came down with two presents: a dog toy she had bought for her pet that could pass for a stuffed animal and a Charlie Brown Christmas tree.

And David was delighted.

We have pictures of him standing next to the small, scraggly tree. And even after a year or so had gone by, he said the chew toy was one of his favorite possessions. We’ve never had the heart to tell him that it was meant for a dog. But later, when we had a puppy who became interested in it, he generously gave it to her.

Christmas, I learned, doesn’t have to be complicated. We set high expectations and try to make everything perfect. But for my family anyway, Christmas never turns out perfectly.

And that’s okay.

The best Christmas presents come to us in small packages and in unexpected ways.

And that includes the ultimate Gift we received more than 2,000 years ago.

Merry Christmas!



Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.