Thursday, December 4, 2014

Joy is Not for Wimps

“I have told you this so that you might have peace in me. In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world.”      
John 16:33
I’ve been doing some research in my Advent quest for joy.

Right away I found something helpful online: an EWTN article by Curtis Martin, founder and CEO of the Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS). The article is aptly titled “You’d Better Not Pout.”

What I learned seems to be summed up quite nicely by St. Paul: “Rejoice always. Pray constantly. Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”

Sounds simple, but as Martin reminds us: “Joy is not for wimps. St. Paul’s letters show that he was an intensely joyful man, but he was also tough. . . . Look at what St. Paul went through:

'Far greater labors, far more imprisonments, with countless beatings, and often near death. Five times I have received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. Three times I have been beaten with rods; once I was stoned. Three times I have been shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been adrift at sea; on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brethren; in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. And, apart from other things, there is the daily pressure upon me of my anxiety for all the churches.'"

“True joy,” Martin said, “must be anchored in the hope of salvation in Jesus Christ.”

The writer recommends a strong prayer life and frequent reception of the sacraments to increase and sustain our joy. And confidence in God’s providence will keep us from getting discouraged.

“Momentary setbacks and even spectacular earthly failures won’t rob us of our joy, because we haven’t placed our joy in the things of this world. Our joy and hope are grounded in Christ and in the life to come.”

So, according to Martin, we go back to St. Paul’s advice.

It’s “as simple as one, two, three. One: ‘Rejoice always.’ Two: ‘Pray without ceasing.’ Three: ‘In all things, give thanks.’”

My take is slightly different, that we should use the steps backward to reach the point of rejoicing.

Either way, I have my job cut out for me. But at least I have St. Paul as my guide.



Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.