Thursday, December 11, 2014

Prayer = Peace


Advent is a tough time to stay focused.

There’s so many little things to do before Christmas that it’s hard to stay on track for the biggest event – Christ entering our world.

Each year as Christmas gets closer, I get more stressed, and the peace I long for seems so elusive.

But a wise person offered some advice: “Advent can be so crazy, filled with a lot of noise and commotion, and it seems you can’t find a moment’s peace. But if you can steal into the liturgy of Advent, it’s like being enveloped in the peace of God.”

So I’m trying to stay close to the church’s liturgy through daily Mass and some of the prayers of the Liturgy of the Hours. And when I start to get stressed, frustrated and angry, I know it’s because I’ve strayed.

This week I needed the peace of prayer. I had a major meltdown after school Wednesday trying to get one kid to work and two kids to St. Columbkille School's Christmas programs. We were a mess. Two kids were late, and I was angry and irritated – not a good way to enjoy the performances.

But in between the two school programs, in my seat in the high school auditorium, I opened up a prayer book.

I was anxious as I first started praying, trying to make sure my children were behaving as they went off with their friends during the break. But I continued to pray and realized I didn’t need to worry about them too much as they sat calmly with friends, playing and visiting. I started to appreciate how good my kids are most of the time, and how nice their friends are.

I finished the prayers and decided to turn to my cell phone for a diversion, but I couldn’t find it anywhere. I ran out to our van, thinking the phone might be there, but it wasn’t. I was nervous that I might have lost it for good.

I tried to stay calm. On the way back to our seats, I visited with a couple of parents and was reminded of how lucky we are to know such good families at St. Columbkille. One offered a quick prayer to St. Anthony to help find my phone, and as soon as I got back to my seat I found it. (Thank you, St. Anthony and Terianne Almgren!) 

Turning to God, even briefly, seemed to make everything better that night. I had peace again by the time the second program started, and I thoroughly enjoyed the children’s singing. No longer frustrated and irritated, I could let the program’s Christmas message sink in.

“Prayer = peace” is the Advent lesson I learned Wednesday night.

And finding time for prayer, even if it means stealing away for just a few minutes, is the way to find the peace and joy of Jesus this Christmas.



Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.