Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Light Shines in the Darkness

Iraqi Christians light candles after attending Christmas Mass at the 
Virgin Mary church on December 25, 2008 in Baghdad, Iraq.

A gentleman heading into a gym this morning commented to an employee at the front counter about how dark it was outside, despite being 6 a.m.

Yes, the employee agreed. It certainly was dark. “A sign of things to come.”

That remark sent a small chill down my spine as I walked by – on one level because I’m not looking forward to the darkness and cold of winter, but I also thought of a symbolic darkness. Are there dark times ahead?

I thought about news of Christians being persecuted in the Middle East and elsewhere, but particularly in Iraq. Grisly news about beheadings, crucifixions and the destruction of churches.

As Christians, I suppose, we need reminders that we will never be fully accepted in this world. We will be persecuted, possibly even martyred. We need to pray for those now in the darkness and for those who fight it.

As I walked outside the gym, I caught a peek of the sun, just a narrow line of yellow light between the still-dark horizon and the heavy gray clouds that covered the rest of the sky. But the sun was there, breaking into daylight.

I was reminded of a passage at the start of St. John’s Gospel, about God’s Light, Who was there from the beginning and broke into our world at an appointed time.

That glimpse of the morning sun reminded me of Jesus, Who like the sun is with us day after day, sometimes out of sight but never gone. Our Lord is our Light.

And as St. John reminds us, “the Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome It.”

That is the good news of the Gospel. And His presence with us always allows us to pray confidently with the Psalms: “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom should I fear?

As for me, I won't be afraid of the dark.



Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.