Thursday, August 14, 2014

I Once was Lost


I remember a time when I was little and got lost in a crowd at a hockey game.

I walked around the ice arena at least a couple times, anxiously looking up at the rows of people, trying to find my family.

Then a policeman approached me and asked if I was lost.

I remember wondering how he had guessed that. Apparently police are good at recognizing frightened little faces. And I think he knew to be on the lookout for me, because he led me straight to my dad.

After finding me, the officer took my left hand in his right. As we walked, I could feel a round piece of candy between our palms, and I hoped it was meant for me.

When we got to my waiting father, my dad thanked the policeman and they talked a little as I savored the candy. I was shy and embarrassed by the incident, but mostly I was relieved. “I once was lost but now am found,” as the song says. And that night gave me a special appreciation for being found.

That memory came back to me when I came across these lines from Psalm 73:


“I was always in Your presence; You were holding me by Your right hand. You will guide me by Your counsel and so You will lead me to glory.”


Most of us can look at our lives and realize there were times when we strayed and became lost. Jesus is like the kind, reassuring policeman I met, who sees our distress when no one else does, when sometimes even we don’t recognize our danger.

But He has always been there for us, holding our hands, to lead us back to our Father, to receive our sweet prize of glory.


Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.