Thursday, August 28, 2014

Spiritual Advice from a Beer Truck


I’ve been known to take spiritual advice from a beer truck.

So maybe it’s not too odd that once again I’ve found inspiring words written on a Dos Equis delivery truck.

The beer brand is famous for its slogan, “Stay thirsty, my friends,” and the actor who gives that advice, known in commercials as “the most interesting man in the world” because of his daring exploits.

I’ve found that staying thirsty is good spiritual advice, too, in the sense of thirsting for Living Water, God Himself, the Fount of Life, and to imitate Jesus in His thirst on the cross, a thirst for the salvation of souls.

About two years ago I saw “Stay thirsty, my friends” on a truck and thought about that spiritual meaning. But I laughed when I saw what was written on the back of the vehicle: “Follow closely. Interesting things will happen.” Another invitation from God, I thought.

Well, just this week, I saw the Dos Equis truck with the new message. There on the side of the truck, in large print, was this advice: “Every now and then, bite off more than you can chew.”

Again I laughed, thinking about how every day I feel like I’ve bitten off more than I can chew. But I took note of the words “every now and then.”  Being overwhelmed shouldn’t be a constant state of life. But once in a while, it’s good to take on something big, especially if it’s for God.

Sometimes when He calls us, we might think: No way, I can’t do that. I don’t have time, I don’t the ability.

And I’d guess that sometimes St. Peter, St. Paul or any of Jesus’ followers may have felt that way, especially when He first called them. Or when He showed them the cross.

Jesus, it seems, likes to take us out of our comfort zones. And if we dare to follow, we might ask: Have I bitten off more than I can chew? Did He really ask me to do this?

But if the call is real, if we truly follow Jesus’ Way and not ours, He will give us all that we need – and then some. Jesus, not an actor, is “the most interesting man in the world.” He will take us on His exploits. And he He won’t abandon or disappoint us.

It’s good to ponder where He’s asking us to go next on this mysterious and wonderful journey of life. And it’s good to be bold, in His Name. Every now and then, we need to take a big bite, even if it seems like it’s more than we can chew.

I don’t always take spiritual advice from a beer truck. But when I do, I prefer it from God (and Dos Equis).


Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.