Thursday, March 6, 2014

Thanks Be



"Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

Mark Twain reportedly said that after a newspaper published his obituary prematurely.

Oddly, the quote reminds me of the attitude I get toward Lent.

Somehow I exaggerate my own "Lenten demise", how horrible and distasteful my meager Lenten practices will be -- even though they never end up so horrible. I don't take on anything too rigorous, and I know God is there to help me, often making whatever I do seem easy. Yet I get this feeling of dread when Lent rolls around.

I think this happens when I view my Lenten observances as more about me and less about God. Any sacrifice will make me suffer if I don't have the right disposition or reason behind it. Lifestyle changes can be hard. But they become easier when we remember our Lord as our focus, that we need to change to draw closer to Him and begin to resemble Him.

When we've prayerfully considered what God would have us do for Lent, and follow His lead, our actions will ultimately make us happy. And if we're doing something pleasing to Jesus, often we can feel His presence as He helps us.

"Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,

for I am meek and humble of heart;

and you will find rest for yourselves.

For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”

Thanks be to God, a loving and merciful Master.




Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.