Thursday, March 13, 2014

Can't Be Underestimated

God's mercy and the graces He extends to us at Mass, can never be underestimated -- or even comprehended.

I received one such grace Wednesday, when I went to a lunch-hour Mass in a small chapel in Omaha.

The lector, still wearing her coat, walked up to the altar and read the first reading for day. It was the story of Jonah in Nineveh telling the residents that their city will be destroyed in 40 days, and how the people, their king and even their animals repented, fasting and wearing sackcloth. Their actions moved God, and the city was not destroyed.

Then the lector began the Responsorial Psalm: "A heart contrite . . ." But then her voice changed and she had to pause.

She was weeping.

She struggled through the line and somehow finished, and the bewildered people in the pews replied back: "A heart contrite and humbled, O God, You will not spurn."

The lector returned to the Psalm: "Have mercy on me, O God . . ." But again her voice broke up and she started crying again. The priest rose from his presider chair, walked to the ambo and put an arm around the woman's shoulder, gently excusing her from the reading. He took over Psalm 51 from there: "Have mercy on me, O God, in Your goodness; in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense . . ."

I don't know why the lector cried, but it struck me that she was moved to tears while reading words of repentance.

And the thought of her tears stayed with me through Mass. In the homily, the priest talked about God's infinite, incomprehensible mercy that even extends to the cross. . . and the only thing we need to receive it is a repentant heart, a sorrow for our sins. Like the Psalm said: "A heart contrite and humbled, O God, You will not spurn."

It was also at Mass that I realized my lack of tears, my lack of repentance this Lent. I'm doing things to observe Lent, but is my heart in the right place?

I need God's mercy and a heart contrite and humbled enough to receive it. I need to weep for the way I offend Him.

"Thoroughly wash me from my guilt
and of my sin cleanse me.

"A clean heart create for me, O God,
and a steadfast spirit renew within me."
-- Psalm 51


Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.