Thursday, February 7, 2013

Our Constellation


My mother, and her birthday Wednesday, reminded me of a spiritual truth: saints don’t go to heaven alone; they bring with them a “constellation.”

In a large universe, we all have our small worlds. We are surrounded by a unique group of people, our constellation. God gives us the people in our constellation. We influence them, and they influence us. We have the opportunity to bring Jesus to each other.

We have a special obligation to those closest to us, but our constellations include every person we come in contact with -- and more. Our influence should have a ripple effect, spreading through others to people we will never meet on earth and lasting generations. Think of how canonized saints still witness to us, even centuries after their deaths.

We may never be canonized, but we are all called to be saints. Everyone should have a constellation. My mother, and mothers in general, are naturals for this job. Loving mothers draw souls to Jesus in their nurturing, teaching and admonishing. Minds can be converted to Christ, but ultimately it’s hearts that matter. Mothers have special access to hearts.

My mom reminds me of other holy mothers. Like St. Monica, she prays relentlessly, besieging Heaven for the souls near to her.  She seems increasingly determined not to leave any souls behind as we all move closer to eternal life. Like Mary, our Blessed Mother, she leads to Christ those entrusted to her care.

I visit with my mother regularly, and somehow our conversations eventually turn to God. Both of my parents are not afraid to speak the truth and are willing to suffer for it. They see through the dark clouds of a confused culture. Faith allows us to see truth. Love insists that we follow it.

God has blessed me through my parents. Both are bright lights, shining stars, in my spiritual life. I thank God that I am part of their constellations. And I pray that I may shine for others in my own.

Inspired by this Year of Faith we will be posting columns like this from Susan Szalewski about exploring and/or deepening our faith. Watch for it on Thursdays.


No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.