Thursday, February 21, 2013

Ask

“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.”

Thursday’s Gospel reading from St. Matthew invites us to give our needs and desires to God, and Jesus promises that He will answer our prayers.

But are some of the things we ask for too petty? Is it okay to pray that your sports team will win, that you will find a parking place, that you will pass a test at school? Should we bother God with the minutiae of our lives, when there are weightier things (the salvation of souls, world peace, etc.) for which to ask?

I think those questions are answered in a reflection contained in the monthly devotional Magnificat

“God takes delight in answering His people’s prayers, whether in great matters such as Queen Esther’s plea for the life of her people or in small daily needs. All He asks in return is our trust.”

I think trust is crucial here. When I pray for my favorite sports teams, a parking space for an oversized van or the success of my children at school, God often gives me what I want. (Of course I try to keep “Thy will be done” in mind.) When God answers my little prayers, He builds my trust in Him, teaching me to lean on Him in matters big and small. So that when I ask our Lord to bring souls to Heaven, heal the sick, and reconcile all that divides us, I know that He listens and cares.

For Jesus teaches us:

Which one of you would hand his son a stone when he asked for a loaf of bread, or a snake when he asked for a fish? If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good things to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good things to those who ask Him.”


Inspired by this Year of Faith we will be posting columns like this from Susan Szalewski about exploring and/or deepening our faith. Watch for it on Thursdays.


No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.