Friday, January 8, 2016

Praying with the Saints

There are so many beautiful prayers, especially the ones given to us by the saints and those found in Scripture.

Sometimes you find one that you want to make part of your daily prayers.

I recently found a beautiful prayer by St. John Neumann, whose memorial we celebrated Jan. 5. The excerpt I saw was printed in the Magnificat monthly prayer publication. And I think the prayer is a keeper.

"I feel within myself and ardent desire to love Jesus and to be closely united with Him. The daily reception of His Sacred Body and Blood brings with it immense graces to my soul. But I find that I am not sufficiently watchful over my senses. I am indolent in the discharge of my duties. I say my prayers with distraction. O my dearest Jesus, what a great privilege to visit You daily, as often as I choose, and to receive You each day in Holy Communion!...
O my God, I  have consecrated myself to You.
Do with me whatever is most pleasing to You.

I beg of You, O my God, to let me see clearly what I ought to do.
O Jesus, grant me and to all the courage to resist the evil that is in the world.
You know, O my Jesus, that I would willingly suffer and die for You, though I am unworthy of such a grace.
I have consecrated myself entirely to You! You are my only Lord.
How gladly, O Lord, I thank you for the innumerable benefits You give me.
You are the best of fathers. I will be faithful in keeping Your commandments.
Take entire possession of me, O my dearest Jesus. To You I consecrate all the powers of my soul, my body and my whole being.
Teach me Your will, O dearest Lord, that I may begin and end all my actions for Your greater glory."

Amen!

I have a long way to go to be like St. John Neumann, but may his prayer help me on the path to Heaven. May his prayers, and those of all the saints, bless us all!

And with the Lord's help, may sanctity be our New Year's resolution and lifelong goal.


Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.