Friday, January 22, 2016

Behold the Lamb of God

I have glasses, but I usually don't wear them.

My nearsightedness hasn't been too bad. I've only noticed it in certain circumstances -- like when I'm seated far away from the action at concerts or sporting events. But during those times, I'm always surprised at how much better I can see when I put my glasses on.

Sometimes I need to slip them on at Mass. When I need them most is just before Holy Communion, when the priest holds up the Consecrated Host and says: "Behold the Lamb of God, behold Him who takes away the sins of the world. Blessed are those called to the supper of the Lamb."

Over time, my nearsightedness has made it difficult to behold Jesus when I sit a distance from the altar. And I think it's important at that moment to physically look at Him, to gaze upon Him disguised in the Host.

At the same time during Mass, I'm reminded of my own sinfulness: "Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed."

The metaphor of sin as blindness becomes obvious as I'm struggling to see Jesus at Mass. Our sins have a gradual effect on our spiritual vision, diminishing our sight, but in a way we might not notice right away. And slowly but surely, we lose sight of our Lord and the world around us.

We become aware of our shortsightedness when we intentionally behold Jesus, the Lamb of God. If we let Him, He will correct our vision and heal our blindness -- especially in Confession, Holy Communion and the other sacraments.

More and more as I age, I find myself in need of my glasses.

But even more, I know I need to really see.


Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.