Thursday, November 26, 2015

A Litany of Thanksgiving

When I walk two dogs first thing in the morning, I have to brace myself.

Beginning when they were puppies, I've tried to get them outside as soon as I get up to avoid any accidents after a long night. And now they've become accustomed to going outside almost as soon as my feet hit the floor.

That can mean opening the front door with my eyes half closed and stumbling into the wind or rain or snow or ice. Often I'm still in pajamas, or without socks or combed hair, grabbing whatever shoes and coat happen to be close at hand.

That is how I wake up almost every day. It's a less than ideal for someone who is not a morning person and who can be wimpy when it comes to adverse weather.

But I've been trying to turn lemons into lemonade, moving from grumbling to gratitude.

I've noticed that the world at 6 a.m. can be a beautiful place. Darkened skies begin to take on shades of blue and gray, orange and rose. Leaves are rustling, birds begin chirping.

As I walk, I thank God for the quiet and beauty that surrounds me and am reminded of the many things I should be thankful for: a warm home, an abundance of food, a wonderful family.

The walk I've dreaded each morning is gradually becoming my litany of thanksgiving as I praise and thank God for everything I can think of: the cool, fall air; the glorious sunrise; the swirling brown leaves, including the one that seems to pause in midair and wave at me; for patient, tolerant neighbors, whose homes I pass by; for each individual member of my family, including my husband, children, brothers, sisters, parents and in-laws; for the good health we enjoy, for our creation and salvation, for the fresh start of a new day . . . the list goes on and on and often carries into the rest of my day.

Appreciating God's gifts and thanking Him for them is a joyful, positive way to start the day, instead of my usual grumbling. One of the prefaces for Mass reminds me that even my meager thank-yous are His gift:

"You have no need of our praise, yet our desire to thank You is itself Your gift. Our prayer of thanksgiving adds nothing to Your greatness, but makes us grow in Your grace, through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Indeed, God can turn anything into a blessing. He is a master at turning our lemons into lemonade.
 As St. Paul reminds us in his letter to the Romans:

"We know that all things work for good for those who love God, who are called according to His purpose."

Thank You, Lord!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, today and every day!


Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.