Thursday, October 1, 2015

What Christ's Followers Look Like

Pope Francis' recent visit to the United States reminded me again of what Christ's followers look like.

It struck me how he stood out in contrast to the crowds he addressed, especially at the Capitol and United Nations building. Dressed in his white cassock amid a sea of dark suits, he spoke slowy, softly and yet deliberately. His example taught me how to speak to people with opposing views: gently and lovingly, drawing on what unites us, emphasizing basic truths most of us can agree with, yet never backing down from the truth. The fact that his clothing made him stand out impressed upon me the idea that Christians are supposed to look different, particularly in the way we live our lives.

And Pope Francis demonstrated how we are to live: serving others. He did this by dining with the homeless and visiting the imprisoned.

Also recently but closer to home, others witnessed Christ for me. During the past couple weeks, our family has had occasions for several gatherings with extended family. And we're always blessed by their basic kindness, often going out of their way to be helpful. One of my sisters, Judy, visiting from out of town, didn't exactly get a vacation while she was here. She spent much of her time helping us in all sorts of situations and running errands with us.

I apologized for what seemed to be a not-so-relaxing trip. Basically she said she was fine with helping out as needed. She didn't care if she went anywhere special. Helping us gave her time to visit with us. And that's all that really mattered.

I told my 14-year-old daughter, Faustina, about my conversation with her aunt.

"Aunt Judy is my hero," Faustina said.

"Yeah, she's my hero, too," I said.

Thank you, Lord, for the people who show us how to serve. Help us to serve as You serve.



Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.