Thursday, October 8, 2015

Human Life is Precious

Anyone looking at a portrait of our family would count nine children.

But that picture wouldn't tell the whole story of our family. Two children are missing.

We have no images of those children, who were miscarried in early pregnancy. We never really got to know them, even knowing if they were boys or girls, or one of each.

Yet they existed -- and still exist.

If they were here with us now they would be in college, or at least be college-aged. Long ago I gave them names to help me pray for them and with them: Stephen Michael and Anne Marie.

They were sandwiched into the middle of our family, so their absence creates a four-year gap between our older set of four children and a younger set of five. I'm grateful to the Pope Paul VI Institute in Omaha for those five younger children. Doctors there figured out why I had miscarriages and found a simple solution, injections of the hormone progesterone.

I'm also grateful that the doctors intervened when they did. Apparently conventional medicine didn't deem miscarriages worth investigating until a woman had three. We weren't willing to wait for another baby to die. But how I wish we figured out the problem earlier.

The image above, or at least one similar to it, has given me great comfort, particularly because the angel is holding two babies.

A magnet we used to have on our refrigerator also comforted me. The magnet contained a quote from St. John Paul II: "Human life is precious because it is the gift of a God whose love is infinite; and when God gives life, it is forever."

The great pope settled my concerns about why God even bothers to create earthly lives destined to be so short. Our Lord has a higher purpose and plans for those tiny children -- though while we are still on Earth we may never fully grasp His designs. He lovingly created our little ones, and they rest surrounded in His love.

Over the centuries, church scholars have discussed what happens to babies who die before they have a chance to be baptized. I am no longer concerned with that question after a wise person recommended simply entrusting those children to God's mercy. Ultimately, I couldn't think of a better place for them.

"Is there anyone among you who would hand his son a stone when he asked for bread? Or would hand him a snake when he asked for a fish?
"If you, then, evil as you are, know how to give your children what is good, how much more will your Father in Heaven give good things to those who ask Him!" -- Matthew 7:9-11

Sometimes when I pray, I imagine Jesus holding my babies. I ask Him to kiss them for me. And I ask them to kiss His Holy Face for me. Pray for our family, I ask the children, so that some day all of us can join you in God's presence.

I encourage anyone who has undergone the loss of a baby through miscarriage, stillbirth or infant death to attend an Oct. 14 prayer service hosted by the Elizabeth Ministry and led by Father Reeson. The 7 p.m. service will honor and remember our babies and offer support to those who mourn their deaths.

Let us entrust our little ones to the Lord and find our solace in Him.

Stephen Michael and Anne Marie -- and all of your little friends --  pray for us!



Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.