Thursday, September 25, 2014

Make Time for a Walk


This morning I made myself get up early.

I had lots to do, and I was ready to forge into the busy day.

I was dressed and almost ready to go, but then I saw my daughter and carpool buddy, Rose, at the top of the steps, still in the clothes she slept in and looking drowsy. “Are you still planning on leaving early?” she asked.

“No,” I answered. “I can work on the computer here.

By then a familiar black dog was at my feet, and I bent over to let her cover my face with kisses. She’s so sweet and loving first thing in the morning, but she quickly reverts to her feisty self. At that moment, though, she melted my heart, and I gave in. “Come on, Ciara, we’ll go for a walk.” And she happily consented.

I attached her leash, and she tore through the front doorway and down some steps, pulling me behind. But then she slowed down to sniff . . . and sniff . . . as we walked down the block. The morning was beautiful, still dark and cool, with only a hint of light changing the sky from black to a deep, soft violet blue.

My plans had changed a bit. I still faced a lot of work, but now I had a moment to pause, relax and breathe in the fresh air. I had a moment to stop and think about my day and invite God into it for help.

I thought about a phone conversation I had the previous week with a noted spiritual writer, Heather King, who frequently contributes to Magnificat magazine and is planning a visit to Omaha. (That’s a great job perk, by the way, talking to people about faith.)

Right off the bat, King told me she doesn’t have a theology degree. She mostly writes about her personal experiences and finds inspiration in ordinary things – like on the walks she takes.

Others, too, have found inspiration in ventures outside, like the main subject of the conversation we had, St. Thérèse of Lisieux, who saw Christ in all of creation – including little wildflowers and even a jam sandwich – King pointed out.

I rarely go on walks alone. I usually have a dog and one or more kids with me, but that doesn’t prevent me from finding God. In fact, it often helps. They lead me to places I never would have gone or to see things I never would have seen (in both the physical journey and in thought) if had I had been by myself.

Walks provide time for conversations. And the young, being so alert, discover treasures – and lessons – I might have missed.

I suppose Ciara is no longer a puppy, but she still has puppy enthusiasm and energy. As we walk she is attentive to everything: a leaf blowing down the street, a person taking out trash, a distant bark.

I guess you just never know, in everything around us, what God might be trying to say at that very moment.

Yes, life is busy. But every day I should make time for a walk.


Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.