Thursday, September 4, 2014

Entering into Struggles and Challenges



Several weeks ago a large spider made his home outside a window just inches from my desk at work.

I’ve continued to do my work inside the window, while the spider has done his outside, every work day, within my view. The spider’s work, of course, is grisly. And his white, lint-like web is large, messy and unsightly. But there’s not much I can do about the spider, or the view, because the window doesn’t open.

At first I thought about just keeping the blinds closed. I don’t mind spiders, but I didn’t want the up-close, all-day show. I quickly dismissed that idea, though, because I wanted sunlight and a glimpse outside.

The same window gives me a view of the wider world, too, including an apartment building across the street, where life also is busy, messy – and sometimes not-so-peaceful. People come and go, cars honk, visitors rap on windows, children run and yell. Occasionally personal arguments spill from the apartments into the street, and occasionally police follow the residents inside.

I’ve thought about closing the blinds to this view, too. It seems none of my business, and it’s not pleasant to watch. But again I resisted because I need the sunlight and the connection to the outside world.

All the things I’ve witnessed through the window remind me of something a priest recently said. I’d been talking to him about his work in a poor neighborhood, and he said that Catholics needed to be there, entering into the struggles and challenges – bringing Christ into messy, unsightly, unpleasant lives.

The priest’s message doesn’t apply exclusively to people serving in poor neighborhoods. Catholics everywhere, in all vocations, interact with and care for others in all their messy physical, emotional and spiritual needs.

The people we love and serve pull us into the webs they're stuck in. Especially when they suffer, whether from illness, injury, addictions, or self-inflicted problems brought on by bad choices or sin. We could close the blinds on their problems. We could watch from behind a window.

But no, according to the priest’s wisdom, we need to be there for them, bringing Jesus’ peace and presence. We might not have solutions for their problems. Maybe God alone can open the window and clean up the mess – and all we can do is watch – and pray.

But we shouldn’t close the blinds. We need His light and His view for our untidy, unsettled world. In fact, we might need Him more than those we try to serve.


Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.