Sunday, April 27, 2014

Fr Damian & St. John Paul II

In his Bulletin Letter this week, Fr Damian writes:

My only close encounter with John Paul came in 1998 when I went with a group on a pilgrimage to Rome led by a priest from Minnesota who had worked at the Vatican for seven years. A small group of us were invited to attend the morning Mass with John Paul. After Mass he came to the large reception room where we were waiting. He came to each of us for a brief conversation. My conversation with Pope John Paul went like this:

“Where are you from?” he asked.
“Omaha, Nebraska.” I replied.
“Where is Omaha, Nebraska?” he asked.
“You were in Des Moines, Iowa.”
“I remember Des Moines.”
“And, you were in Denver, Colorado.”
“I remember Denver.”
“Well,” I said, “Omaha is in between the two.”

“Good, good” he replied while he patted my hand, handed me a rosary and turned to talk to my mother who was standing next to me.

My mother was speechless as the pope took her hands into his and looked into her eyes. I explained to him that this was my mother.

“Ahh,” he said, “Mother is very good, good.”

John Paul was already suffering from Parkinson’s disease in 1998 and it was difficult for him to get around. He used a cane as he went around the room and spoke to each of us. As he finished his time with the group that day, he saluted us with his cane and a smile. (I still have the rosary he gave me that day).

Today is special as St. John Paul II and St. John XXIII have been canonized.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.