Tuesday, December 17, 2013

How Do I Go to Confession?

With our Parish Reconciliation Service 
Thursday at 7 p.m., this might be helpful:


Sacrament of Reconciliation
How do I go to Confession?

Sign of the Cross
I make the sign of the Cross and say, “In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.”

Introduction
Say, “Bless me Father, for I have sinned. It has been (length of time) since my last confession.”

Confession of Sins
The priest listens as I explain my sins, how I have hurt God, others, and myself. End with, “For these and all my sins I am truly sorry.”

Penance

The priest asks me to say a prayer or do an act of goodness.

Act of Contrition
I tell God I am sorry for my sins. I say a prayer of sorrow:
O my God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart. In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good, I have sinned against you, whom I should love above all things. I firmly intend, with the help of your grace, to do penance, to sin no more and to avoid whatever leads me to sin. Our savior Jesus Christ suffered and died for us. In his name, my God, have mercy. Amen.

Absolution
The priest says a prayer in the name of the Church, asking God to forgive my sins. With this prayer, all my sins are forgiven.

Dismissal
The priest says, “Your sins are forgiven, go in peace.”
I answer, “Thanks be to God.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.