Friday, December 6, 2013

Half Full



"Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light."
-- From the hymn "Be Thou My Vision"

The glass really is half full.

One of the secrets to joy, I've discovered, is perspective.

I woke up this morning grumpy as usual. I was still tired and didn't want to wake up. It was cold inside and way colder outside. As I stumbled sleepily through the house, I glanced around to see kids' clothes and backpacks all over, a sink full of dirty dishes and a wet spot on the floor from a puppy. I asked God: Can't I just go back to bed? Why me?

But my perspective was wrong.

I woke up in a warm bed, next to a wonderful husband. I had shelter from the cold. I had a houseful of great kids who are kind, and for the most part, helpful. The puppy who left me the mess also licked my face incessantly. At least she knows how to wake up happy -- and how to spread that happiness to others. I, on the other hand, woke up family members with yelling and complaining.

George Bailey, Jimmy Stuart's character in the movie "It's a Wonderful Life," was in despair, about ready to commit suicide when his guardian angel intervened. Clarence, the angel in the movie, gave George perspective by showing him how the world would be if he had never been born. George was shown, that despite his current setbacks, he had a wonderful life.

As Christians we have the ultimate reasons to be happy and joyful. We know our sufferings and inconveniences have purpose and are only temporary. We know we are destined for greatness and victory in Christ.

When we lose our joy, we lose sight of Him and need to draw closer through prayer and the sacraments. He then becomes our Vision, where we see everything in proper perspective.

Children, the poor, and others who are close to Christ tend to be happy and grateful because they are like Jesus, meek and humble of heart. They have the right perspective. They have Vision.

"High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven's joys, O bright Heaven's Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all."




Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.