Thursday, June 20, 2013

Shall I Play for You?

Sing a new song to the LORD,
for He has done marvelous deeds…
Shout with joy to the LORD, all the earth;
break into song; sing praise.
Sing praise to the LORD with the lyre,
with the lyre and melodious song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn
shout with joy to the King, the LORD.
     -- Psalm 98

God is always wanting us to sing.

In the Bible, especially in the Old Testament, we hear a lot about singing and dancing, in times of victory and joy, but also in times of sorrow and repentance. This probably sounds odd to our modern minds. How many of us go about our day singing hymns to God?

We should take these words literally, and occasionally sing and dance with praise to God. Our prayers, too, can be our song. But there are other ways to sing.

I know a young artist who has been afraid to let her drawing, painting and sculpting touch on religious subjects, to reflect her faith. Basically, she has considered herself unworthy of the task. It can be daunting, I know.

For years I shied away from writing about my faith because I had no degree in theology or special knowledge of God. There were other writers out there who were more talented than me. What could I possibly offer God? I felt He was calling me, though, to use my writing more directly for Him.

The young artist and I had the same dilemma. We felt like the "Little Drummer Boy": "I have no gift to bring . . . that's fit to give the King."

Eventually I learned that God graciously accepts whatever we have to offer, no matter how meager the gift. And He has a pattern of transforming our meager offerings, like bread and wine, into something divine. Maybe we unworthy sinners can "do something beautiful for God," to borrow a phrase from Blessed Mother Teresa. My writings might not be profound, but maybe the Holy Spirit can use them to encourage one soul, no matter how awkward or silly my thoughts might seem. Maybe He has a use for the artist's hands. Maybe He has a use for your gifts.

Lately I've been thinking about how God asks us to sing a "new" song. What does that mean?

I've been interpreting "new" to mean unique. We all have a song to sing. We each have talents and experiences that shape the unique person we are and the one-of-a-kind gifts we bring. God gives us gifts and asks us to return them to Him, to serve Him and His Kingdom. The song we sing may not be overtly religious. Maybe we are asked to be a gracious host in welcoming an unwelcome visitor. Maybe our Lord is asking us to work patiently, tirelessly and without recognition for the good of another. In other words, maybe we are asked to serve Jesus disguised as strangers, co-workers, neighbors and family members.

Whatever our song, it is unique and new; no one else can sing it.

Like the Little Drummer Boy, we should ask our Lord, "Shall I play for You?"

And like the drummer, do our best for Him, for the same immeasurable reward: "Then He smiled at me . . . me and my drum."

Inspired by this Year of Faith we will be posting columns like this from Susan Szalewski about exploring and/or deepening our faith. Watch for it on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.