Thursday, June 27, 2013

Let Freedom Ring!

Bells have a rich meaning in the Catholic faith, their uses uses extolled in poetry:

"Laudo Deum verum plebem voco congrego clerum
Defunctos ploro, nimbum fugo, festa decoro."
(I praise the true God, I call the people, I assemble the clergy;
I bewail the dead, I dispense storm clouds, I do honor to feasts.)

And:

"Funera plango fulmina frango sabbata pango
Excito lentos dissipo ventos paco cruentos."
(At obsequies I mourn, the thunderbolts I scatter, I ring in the Sabbaths;
I hustle the sluggards, I drive away storms, I proclaim peace after bloodshed.)

At some churches bells have the sacred duty of calling our attention to the Christ's Presence when the bells are rung at the elevation of the Host and the Chalice at Mass. At St. Columbkille, shortly before each Mass begins, our bells summon us in for worship. In the secular world we use bells to alert us, to warn us, to wake us up.

So it is fitting to ring some bells as we observe the Church's Fortnight for Freedom in the days leading up to Independence Day. On many fronts our nation is grappling with issues of liberty. God is trying to rouse us. He wants to hustle us sluggards, drive away our storms, proclaim peace. He wants us to assemble in praise and recognize the sacrifice necessary for freedom.

Pray for our nation, especially in community. Every day, twice a day, until July Fourth, St.Columbkille worshipers are gathering for Holy Hours before our Eucharistic Lord.

The Fourth of July is a great time to light some fireworks, have a picnic and wear red, white and blue. But if you want to be truly patriotic, pray.


Inspired by this Year of Faith we will be posting columns like this from Susan Szalewski about exploring and/or deepening our faith. Watch for it on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.