Thursday, April 11, 2013

God is Singing to You


Does this ever happen to you?

You hear a secular a song on the radio -- maybe it’s an old song you’ve known forever -- and suddenly the lyrics take on a different meaning than whatever you had previously associated with them. Do you ever hear a secular song and think, “That could be God talking to me?”

When I was in high school and attending a retreat, a priest had me and my classmates listen to a song called “Longer” by Dan Fogelberg. Imagine, the priest said, that God is singing this song to you.

He then played the song, and here is what God sang to us that day:

“Longer than there've been fishes in the ocean
Higher than any bird ever flew
Longer than there've been stars up in the heavens
I've been in love with you.

"Stronger than any mountain cathedral
Truer than any tree ever grew
Deeper than any forest primeval
I am in love with you.”

I had heard “Longer” before but never paid any particular attention to it. I loved it after I imagined it coming from God’s mouth and heart. Who else could claim to have loved me since before creation? Who else could love me with a love that strong, that true and that deep? Certainly no mortal.

Recently another song I associate with high school crept into my head. It was “All Er Nothin’ ” from the musical “Oklahoma!” way back when my class performed for the rest of our school. In case you’re not familiar with the song “All Er Nothin’,” it’s a dialogue between a cowboy and his girlfriend in which he’s asking her to stop chasing the other guys and be faithful to him alone, to give him all or nothing.

I was at home putting away groceries when these lyrics from the song popped into my head:

“With me it's all er nuthin'.
Is it all er nuthin' with you?
It cain't be ‘in between’
It cain't be ‘now and then’
No half and half romance will do!”

I sensed it was the Holy Spirit whispering to me, asking me for faithfulness, for my all. It’s so easy to love God “in between” and “now and then.” But for Him, “No half and half romance will do!”

What does our Lord sing to you?


Inspired by this Year of Faith we will be posting columns like this from Susan Szalewski about exploring and/or deepening our faith. Watch for it on Thursdays.



4 comments:

  1. Think of the lyrics to "my Girl" by the Temptations. Now picture Our Lady of Guadalupe, Our Lady of Fatima, Our Lady of Lourdes, Our Lady of Knock, Our Lady of ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. From now on I'll smile and think of our Blessed Mother when I hear "My Girl." She previously had come to mind because of the song's lyrics: "when it's cold outside I've got the month of May." May, which is her month, is so mild and beautiful, like her.
    Is it coincidental that the song is performed by the Temptations? Mary is definitely a help in times of temptations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think of Jesus carrying the cross when I hear U2's "Walk On". "You're packing a suitcase for a place none of us have been; a place that has to be believed to be seen"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard him in "I'll stand by you" by the Pretenders- When the night falls on you
    You don't know what to do
    Nothing you confess
    Could make me love you less
    I'll stand by you
    Won't let nobody hurt you
    I'll stand by you

    ReplyDelete

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.