Thursday, March 7, 2013

In like a Lion, Out like a Lamb



March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb.

If that’s true, the month of March should be a metaphor for Christians, particularly during Lent.

Our conversions often start the way March does. Our hearts can be cold, harsh and blustery – the result of loving ourselves more than God and others. We begin as lions, proud and confident in our own strength.

But we are called to follow the Lamb. Lent, like life, is a path toward the Cross and Resurrection. The Lamb, Who draws us with His warmth and gentleness, hands Himself over as our sacrifice.

I have a birthday in March, which makes me reflect on all this. Every birthday should bring me closer to God; each one certainly brings me closer to meeting Him in death. Yet I remain more lion than lamb.

Good Friday will mark my 50th birthday. A double reason to be somber? No. But the timing is not a coincidence. Our Heavenly Father is showing me the way of the Lamb, and He’s telling me that I’m not getting any younger. “Behold, now is a very acceptable time.”  I have to give myself over to Him now, completely. I must be like Jesus and surrender to God’s  will.

This surrender does not end in defeat. It becomes the ultimate victory in Christ.


Inspired by this Year of Faith we will be posting columns like this from Susan Szalewski about exploring and/or deepening our faith. Watch for it on Thursdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.