Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Mrs. Overkamp will retire as Principal

Today, on the feast day of St. Scholastica, we are announcing that Mrs. Overkamp is retiring as principal of our school after 15 years. She said, "I have always said that I wanted to retire from a classroom and in order to do that, I needed to make that step. It has been a hard decision for me and one that I have not taken lightly. It gets down to the fact that if I want to teach, I need to retire from administration."

Fr. Damian reflected that this is similar to how priests often like to finish their careers as Sr. Associates. After years of administration, it allows them to "be a priest again." They can focus on the things they looked forward to when they became a priest. So he completely understands Mrs. Overkamp's plans.

Fr. Damian said, "We greatly appreciate the years of service Mrs. Overkamp has given to our school. She has always had a deep compassion and concern for students and making certain they receive the best education possible. We wish her all the best as she moves forward with her desire to return to teaching. We send our deepest thanks for her commitment to the school, the teachers and the children."

Mrs. Overkamp will continue as Principal until June 30th saying, "I have lots to do. I want to get everything in order for the new person."

David Woodard School (Advisory Council President) said, "I've really enjoyed my working relationship with Mrs. Overkamp. She has dedicated her life to Catholic education and has made a significant impact on St. Columbkille School. It's clear that her Faith enters every part of her life, especially her daily work. Here at St. Columbkille we are asked to ‘Go and Make Disciples’. Each and every day for the past 15 years Chris Overkamp has had a hand in helping to make over 500 Disciples. We are truly grateful for her dedicated service and wish her the best."

We will have plenty of opportunity to thank Mrs. Overkamp and wish her well in the future.

Fr. Damian said a search committee will be formed soon to begin the process of searching for a new principal.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to see you go Mrs. Overkamp, but I understand completly! You have been a wonderful role model for not only our excellent teachers, but also for our students! Your caring and compassion will be hard to replace! Good luck with the path that life is taking you down!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to send my best wishes to Mrs. Overkamp in her new ventures! I have great memories of when my youngest son Steve was at St. Columbkille, she made the school shine. She has always had a great team of teachers on staff. Thanks for your dedication to Catholic education. Gods speed to you, Kathy (Francl) Decker (former parish member)

    ReplyDelete

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.