Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas Letter

We got a Christmas letter from one of our seminarians, John Norman, who is studying in Rome:

Dear Family and Friends,

My parents have passed on so many greetings, intentions, and prayers. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I am so grateful for everything that you have done for me. One of the most common questions I’ve received since beginning my studies here in Rome is ‘How’s it going?’ so I’d like to take a moment to share some of my experience.

Well, I’ve moved to a foreign country (Italy) with a foreign language (Italian) and it is hard. I’m learning another language, which I don’t speak very well. This makes it hard to make friends with the many international students, though I’ve made some very good friendships with the other English-speakers here. I’ve also found that I’m on the other side of the immigration counter, as I have to apply for residency while I live here. (The process is long and complicated and frustrating like it is in the States.) Even harder though, is the inability to walk into a store and ask for help finding something because I am just learning the vocabulary. I never knew that a language barrier could be such a hard, frustrating issue (and it’s not for lack of effort).

Now, when you think of studying in Rome, one of the graces is living up the hill from the Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI, and it is a great gift. This Sunday the children of Rome came to St. Peter’s for the noontime Angelus address, bringing the little baby Jesus from their family’s nativity set for the Holy Father to give his blessing. He seeks to teach us. He leads us. Most importantly, he is a father to us and he is a living example of holiness for us. ...


No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.