Friday, July 31, 2009

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Today is the Memorial of St. Ignatius who was born in 1491 at Loyola in Cantabria. He spent his early years at court and as a soldier. After he converted/surrendered to God he studied theology at the University of Paris where he attracted a following and later, in Rome, formed the Society of Jesus (Jesuits.) He trained his followers to surrender themselves entirely to God and they were important in the renewal of the Church. In 1556 he died in Rome. To get a sense of him, here is one of his prayers:

Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty,
my memory, my understanding,
and my entire will,
All I have and call my own.

You have given all to me.
To you, Lord, I return it.

Everything is yours; do with it what you will.
Give me only your love and your grace.
That is enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.