Thursday, June 9, 2016

Memorizing Scripture

In grade school we all had to memorize things: multiplication tables, state capitals, the world's oceans and continents.

And some of us had to memorize poetry. (I'm not sure if students still do that.)

At the time I understood that memorizing certain facts was important. But poetry?

As it turns out, the poetry has had a lasting effect on me. Even after several decades, a line or two occasionally comes back: "Blessings on thee, little man, Barefoot boy, with cheeks of tan!" or "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  But I have promises to keep,  And miles to go before I sleep,  And miles to go before I sleep."

I better appreciate the poems now, especially when I hear someone else recite them. The writing is musical, with a cadence and flow, beautiful, sometimes sweet, sometimes dark and mysterious.

So perhaps memorizing poems wasn't such a bad idea. In fact, I'd like to do more memorizing. But now I'd like to try Scripture.

The Bible contains history, literature and truth. But more importantly, God's Word is alive and active. "Indeed, the word of God is living and effective, sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating even between soul and spirit, joints and marrow, and able to discern reflections and thoughts of the heart."

Words in any context can be powerful. But they are nothing compared with God's Word, in Whom the world was created and redeemed.

I need that power in my life. Words linger and become our prayer. And sometimes they become available when we least expect them.

A couple years ago, I tried to get my kids to memorize Scripture by offering them rewards. It was a short project because  (as usual) I got distracted. But I remember a drive in which a 6-year-old and I repeated a line over and over, breaking it down into pieces: "I can do all things. in Him. Who strengthens me."

I don't know if the verse stayed with that child, but it definitely stayed with me. My brain still breaks it into pieces, slowly repeating it. "I can do all things ... in Him ... Who strengthens me." And it has become my prayer.

I hope to bring back memorizing Scripture with family. Memorization is like glue. It makes words -- in this case, God's Word -- stick in our minds and hearts, attaching so firmly that they become part of us.


Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.