Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Celebrating 100 Years with Archbishop Lucas

For the all school Mass today, on the 100th birthday of St. Columbkille Catholic School, Archbishop Lucas was the celebrant. Now only did Fr. Dave and Fr. Vogel concelebrate, but St. Columbkille graduate Fr. John Norman was there as well.


Archbishop Lucas said,“I had the blessing of going to a Catholic School myself. … I kind of took it for granted. I didn’t really realize the sacrifices my parents were making, I didn’t realize the sacrifices the teachers were making, it was all happening around me. … Now that I’m older, I’m getting closer to 100 myself, I’m more grateful all the time for that blessing Catholic education was in my life

“As I think back, … I try to think, what did I get from that? What did I really learn? There were a lot of things that were really good, here’s the one thing that sticks in my mind. I learned how to be free to live for somebody else besides myself. I learned how to be free to live for others.

“We can really be our best selves, we can really use our gifts, if we think about about brothers and sisters, our neighbors and see how we might best use our gifts to serve them.

“I promise to pray for you that you will receive the gifts of the Holy Spirit in abundance, to be able to learn and study and work together. I hope that you will pray for me too.”

After he processed out of the church, Archbishop Lucas said, "In the old days, on a day like this, the Bishop would call off school for the rest of the day. But with all the working families, I'd get crucified if I did that today."

Thank you archbishop Lucas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.