Thursday, August 20, 2015

Many Graces from this One Small Effort

About 21 years ago, my life took a turn.

Not because of anything sudden or drastic -- but because I started going to weekday Masses at St. Columbkille.

Looking back now, I can see many graces from this one small effort.

Twenty-one years ago, my oldest two children were in preschool and kindergarten at St. Columbkille, and I had gone from full-time to part-time work to take care of them and two younger kids at home. One day when I was dropping off the older two at school, the thought occurred to me: I could drop into church for the 8:15 Mass. I was already up and about with a 3-year-old and baby in tow. Why not?

I fell in love with Jesus -- not just through one Mass, but by a steady stream of Masses, day after day.  I realized how much I needed to be nourished by Him every day. My Mass attendance wasn't perfect, but I found a way to get to church on most days. And I learned that my day just wasn't the same without the Mass, without Jesus.

The people at St. Columbkille were welcoming, mostly a mix of retired people and parents with young children, like me. During the school year, we joined in the school Masses and were touched by the joyful praise of children. During the summer and other nonschool days, we formed a smaller, more intimate faith community.

Over the months and years, I have been blessed by those regular Mass-goers. Sometimes we prayed or visited briefly after Mass, and occasionally we got together for coffee. They introduced me to new prayers, devotions and ways of thinking. I haven't known most of them well, but every day we shared a half hour or 45 minutes together before the Lord. And that's a strong bond.

Some of them have since passed away or moved away, but their influence lingers. They taught me each time they reverently bowed their heads during the Consecration, prayed the rosary after Mass, shared stories of everyday miracles, or asked for prayers for loved ones. What a blessing to have been surrounded by holy people -- years ago and still today as I meet even more people at the weekday Masses.

My life has changed over 21 years, but I've tried to keep daily Mass in my schedule. For a while, 5:30 p.m. Masses were much e
asier to get to. And Mass over the lunch hour at other parishes also has been an option.

I urge everyone to try to make Mass a part of each day. Schedules can be complicated, but try adding even one extra Mass each week. The 6:20 a.m. Mass on Fridays is helpful for people who have to rush off to work early.

Life can be crazy, and that's all the more reason to go to Mass. Let Jesus calm and strengthen you for the day.



Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.