Thursday, July 30, 2015

Always Journey with God

This is the time of year many of us will be embarking on new adventures: new schools, classrooms, homes or jobs. Many people are traveling, that one last trip before school starts, or beginning a new project or a new phase in life, such as retirement, parenthood or grandparenthood.

These adventures can be scary, heading into the unknown. But they also can be sources of great blessings.

In the eternal sense, they are all part of our lifelong journey on earth. And perhaps some prayers for safe travel would be appropriate as we venture forth. The following were gathered from the Internet:

“In the name of God I go on this journey. May God the Father be with me, God the Son protect me, and God the Holy Ghost be by my side. Amen.”

Jewish Wayfarer’s Prayer
(Tefilat HaDerech)
“May it be Your will, O Lord, our God and the God of our ancestors, that You lead us toward peace, guide our footsteps toward peace, and make us reach our desired destination for life, gladness, and peace. May You rescue us from the hand of every foe, ambush along the way, and from all manner of punishments that assemble to come to earth. May You send blessing in our handiwork, and grant us grace, kindness, and mercy in Your eyes and in the eyes of all who see us. May You hear the sound of our humble request because You are God Who hears prayer requests.
Blessed are You, our Lord, Who hears prayer. Amen.”

“In my journeying with you, 
may I never lose my sense of direction, 
never lose sight of the landmark 
towards which I travel.
And should cloud or rain obscure my vision, 
may I draw closer to you, 
so that my feet may tread 
in your footsteps,
your words be my encouragement, 
and your love my protection 
against the storms that assail me.”

“Your Light is the only light I need 
as I travel through life's mystery. 
Your Word the only voice I hear, 
that still small voice that leads me 
to the place where I should be.
Your presence is the only company I need, 
as I walk this narrow road.
Your fellowship the warmth I crave 
to help me on my way.”

In all our traveling,
ALL: May your footsteps guide us.
In our journeying to work and returning,
ALL: May your footsteps guide us.
Within our homes and families,
ALL: May your footsteps guide us.
In our leisure time together,
ALL: May your footsteps guide us.
In difficult situations and conflict,
ALL: May your footsteps guide us.
As we stumble on the way,
ALL: May your footsteps guide us.
In the traveling of our faith,
ALL: May your footsteps guide us.
As we place our trust in you,
ALL: May your footsteps guide us.
In all our traveling. Lord, 
may it be your footsteps 
in which we place our feet.
Amen!

No matter where you go in life, may you always journey with God.



Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.