Thursday, November 13, 2014

Hidden Blessings


In a large, busy family, it’s easy to overlook things – and sadly, even people occasionally.

As a mom, sometimes I have to quickly look around to make sure I have everyone as we’re about to leave a place. There’s been times when I think that someone is unaccounted for, and I’ll start to panic. “Wait, where is Pete?” I’ll ask – if he’s the one I can’t find.

Typically the other kids will laugh and say: “Mom, he’s right here.” And sure enough, he’ll end up right next to me – close, but behind me or somewhere out of my sight.

That particular child, Pete, my 9-year-old, is the one I tend to overlook – in more ways than one. He’s usually quiet and behaving, so sometimes he slides off my radar.

And that’s a shame. Quiet and behaving is a good thing that shouldn’t go unnoticed or unrewarded.

Basically, Peter is just plain sweet. He hugs me nearly every time he sees me: when he sees me first thing in the morning, when I walk in the door, when I walk in a room. Sometimes I want him to hold off a minute, until I can drop all the stuff I might be carrying in my arms, until I can first visit the bathroom, until I can resolve whatever mini-crisis some other family member is going through at the moment.

But then I’ll remember what a precious gift those constant hugs are, a reminder that I’m loved, and what a precious gift Peter is to our family. I have to stop and relish those hugs.

I think of Peter today as we edge closer to Thanksgiving. He reminds me that sometimes we can overlook some of our greatest blessings, especially when they’re right there under our noses (in this case, literally).

St. Frances Xavier Cabrini, who is remembered on the church calendar today, also reminds me of overlooked or hidden blessings, in particular, those received through suffering. In this month’s Magnificat prayer magazine, I came across some of her writing:

“Sometimes, we may have to suffer along the way that leads to the holy mountain of perfection, but we will not be discouraged. Because whoever ignores the purpose of Christian suffering does not recognize and know what is great and wonderful in her days. The science of suffering is the science of saints. Let us then be glad when an unexpected cross presents itself, and we are afflicted with pain. These are the choice fruits of the mystic vine, destined to bear inestimable merits for our souls.”

Those sufferings, when united with the suffering of Christ, become “an admirable secret work of grace,” the saint said.

She admonished us not to complain about our trials, and for me that’s a particular challenge. It seems I have to study up on “the science of saints.”

But at least recognizing that suffering is a gift, that it brings grace, is a good place to start. It would be a shame to overlook any of God’s gifts.


Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.