Thursday, February 27, 2014

God's Mighty, Everyday Deeds

"It's a common mistake to think that God's 'works' and 'mighty deeds' are told only in Scripture. Every person's life is God's work of art, an expression of His creative love, His goodness, His compassion." -- from the Magnificat prayer magazine

I think most people have moments in their lives in which they can clearly see the hand of God at work. At other times, equally or more important in our spiritual lives, God seems more hidden.

Let me relay one incident in my life, about 15 years ago, where I saw God's "mighty deeds."

It began when I heard or read that one of the best ways to promote vocations to the priesthood is to pray for them. Another recommendation: if you know someone whom you think would be a good priest, you should tell him.

Up to that point, I had never prayed much for religious vocations, nor had I thought about who would make a good priest. But I reflected for a moment and thought of my brother Tom. I had another single brother at the time, but Tom popped into my head, and he was the only person I thought about.

But how would I bring up the subject of the priesthood? It seemed like such an awkward and random topic to broach. It happened to be the beginning of Lent, so I decided to pray for vocations and my brother through Lent, particularly at holy hours before the Blessed Sacrament, and when I saw Tom on Easter, I would bring up the priesthood.

Lent went by quickly. Easter arrived . . . and I did nothing.

I never had time alone with my brother or the right opportunity to bring up the subject. More time passed -- more than a year, in fact -- and I continued to think and pray about the possibility of my brother becoming a priest.

He was passionately pro-life, and sometimes we talked late into the night about pro-life issues and spiritual matters. That happened one night as we walked out of the place where we both worked and lingered in the parking lot to talk. Finally that awkward moment came, and I asked: "Have you ever considered becoming a priest? I think you would make a good one."

He kind of paused and laughed. "Actually, I have. And just last night I asked God to give me a sign."

My brother talked to the archdiocese vocations director and entered the seminary when school began that fall. Tom later told me he was taught in the seminary not to rely on or expect signs from God. I wasn't too worried about that because his faith was rooted more deeply than that. But the moment in the parking lot remained special for both of us.

It gave me goosebumps at the time and made feel like I was soaring on the drive home. I think it's striking that if we are used by people we're left feeling shamed and embarrassed. But when we feel God using us in His plans, it's uplifting and intoxicating.

I continued to pray for Tom, for other seminarians and vocations. He spent several years in the seminary but never was ordained a priest. I'm not sure how his decision, after much discernment, to enter the seminary and then leave it worked into God's plans. I am convinced, though, that time spent in the seminary is never a waste of time. Tom was told early on that most seminarians don't become priests, but that God richly rewards the men who were willing to give their lives as priests.

I was happy for God working through me in His plans for someone else, but I realized I could take no credit. It was the Holy Spirit who planted the inspiration to pray into my heart, and he worked out the right moment to inspire my brother.

But to see God at work is a blessing in itself.

"Grant us wisdom to see Your works in our daily lives and to praise You at every turn . . ." Magnificat


Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.