Thursday, October 3, 2013

Queen of the Rosary


When I was little I had two recurring dreams which I believe were about the Blessed Virgin Mary.

In one dream I was about to be devoured by a dragon, but a beautiful queen saved me. She had no weapons or armor, but the dragon was compelled to obey her and let me free. Even as a small child, I connected the queen with Mary.

In the second dream, I had to choose between two paths. The first path was actually a giant slide, wide enough to hold many people as they glided down. Slides are fun, and many people chose that path.

The other path was a beautiful rose-covered trellis, which some souls already were climbing. The trellis seemed high, and I wondered if I could make it to the top. The roses had thorns, while I had bare hands and feet. I was drawn toward choosing the trellis, but I wasn't sure if I could overcome the thorns and the long climb without help.

A beautiful lady encouraged me to choose the trellis over the slide and offered her guidance along the way. She couldn't take away the painful thorns, but she could show me the best way to go along the climb. I accepted her help and chose the climb.

The dream metaphors are obvious, and to an adult, even cliche. But I believe Mary's help is real and powerful.

October, a month dedicated to the rosary, has begun.  When we pray the rosary, we enlist our powerful Queen to vanquish demons and obtain her motherly help along life's uphill climb, filled with both beauty and pain. We can do it, she assures us. The climb is the more difficult choice, but she will accompany us, protect us and guide us. She urges us on toward an eternal reward, so great that our imaginations can't grasp it.

O Mary, our beautiful Mother and Queen, help us to choose the right path. Accompany us through life to protect us and guide us. Our Lady, Queen of the Rosary, pray for us!




Inspired by this Year of Faith we will be posting columns like this from Susan Szalewski about exploring and/or deepening our faith. Watch for it on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.