Thursday, November 27, 2014

Unadulterated Joy - Happy Thanksgiving!

I received an early Christmas gift this week – one moment of pure, unadulterated joy.

I was slowing down for a stoplight Tuesday afternoon and caught a commotion out the corner of my eye. A kid was waving from a school bus window, trying to get my attention. And to be honest, I thought he was going to be rude.

Instead, he wished me a happy Thanksgiving. With a great big smile.

I waved back and wished him the same, but I doubt he heard me through my closed window. Then he went on to other drivers and pedestrians at the intersection, spreading his joy everywhere. I suppose he was thrilled to be heading home for Thanksgiving break. Maybe he’s just usually that happy.

That exchange happened at the perfect moment for me, after a long, stressful week. It was indeed a gift.

But after I reflected on it, it became even more of a gift. It made me realize how much I longed for and needed joy in my life. Children have a natural sense of joy, but somehow I’d lost mine and become cynical and depressed.

In a way, God showed me Charles Dickens-like ghosts of Christmas past, present and future in one moment. Yes, God gave me – Scrooge – a vision of sorts.

The joyful boy reminded me that I hadn’t always been so down, how happy I should be despite any present difficulties, and an image of the happiness He has destined for me.

I still can envision that child’s happy face, and it makes me long for lasting joy.

So I think I found my inspiration for Advent. I need to pray for God’s help in ending my doom-and-gloom attitude, which poisons the people around me, get back to a childlike joy and become the person He meant me to be.

The Fullness of Joy is awaiting at Christmas.

Let us begin now to make room for Him – and await Him with expectant hope.



Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.