Thursday, July 16, 2015

O Lord, Draw Me

“Draw me” was a simple prayer of St. Therese of Liseux.

She had a knack for seeing the deep mysteries of our faith in down-to-earth simplicity. And this prayer is just one example. In two words she expressed her desire to be completely united in love to Christ – and to include everyone she prayed for in that union. She explains the prayer in her autobiography, “The Story of a Soul.”

In praying for others, she recognized that “the days would be too short to ask in detail for the needs of each soul and I am afraid I might forget something important. Complicated methods are not for simple souls and, as I am one of these Our Lord Himself has inspired me with a very simple way of fulfilling my obligations.

“One day, after Holy Communion, He made me understand these words of Solomon:
‘Draw me: we will run after Thee to the odour of Thy ointments.’ (Cant. 1: 3.)

“O my Jesus, there is no need then to say: In drawing me, draw also the souls that I love. The words ‘Draw me’ suffice. When a soul has been captivated by the odour of Thy perfumes she cannot run alone; as a natural consequence of her attraction towards Thee, all those whom she loves are drawn in her train.

"Just as a torrent carries into the depths of the sea all that it meets on its way, so, my Jesus, does the soul who plunges into the shoreless ocean of Thy Love bring with it all its treasures. My treasures are the souls it has pleased Thee to unite with mine. . . ."

“In asking to be drawn, we seek an intimate union with the object that has led our heart captive. If iron and fire were endowed with reason, and the iron could say, ‘Draw me!’ would this not prove its wish to be identified with the fire to the point of sharing its substance? Well, such is precisely my prayer. I ask Jesus to draw me into the fire of His Love, and to unite me so closely to Himself that He may live and act in me. “I feel that the more the fire of love consumes my heart, the more frequently shall I cry, ‘Draw me!’ and the more also will those souls who come in contact with mine run swiftly in the sweet odour of the Beloved.”

What a simple and ingenious prayer.

St. Therese, pray for us!
O Lord, draw me!


Inspired by the Year of Faith, Susan Szalewski began writing weekly columns for us. Although that year is over, we liked them so well that we asked her to keep writing. Thankfully, she said yes. So watch for these on Thursdays and see the Year of Faith Blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While anyone can comment, a screening process is in place to prevent comments such as spams or obscenities. The best way to make certain your comment gets posted is to include your name.